Housing Cancellation Request
Use the fields below to submit your Housing Cancellation Request. Please be aware that requests to cancel housing are not guaranteed and that approved requests are subject to housing cancellation fees. Entering an off-campus lease after requesting and receiving a campus housing assignment is not an accepted reason for cancellation of the Agreement. Students should review off-campus housing options before receiving a campus housing assignment. Students with a campus housing assignment are encouraged to participate in the Housing Cancellation Request process before entering an off-campus committment for additional housing.
Please refer to the Residence Hall and Dining Services Agreement for more information regarding the housing cancellation policy and to the university policy on Refunds of Student Charges and Statement of Financial Responsibility for more information on refunds of room and board charges.
You may request cancellation for one of the following reasons:
- Study Abroad - A resident will be released from the Agreement without a housing cancellation fee charged if they are participating in an approved CUA study abroad program and submit this form by November 15th.
- Graduation - A resident will be released from the Agreement at the end of the fall semester if requirements for graduation have been completed and the Housing Cancellation Request is received in HS prior to November 15th. All graduating students must vacate their residence hall assignment by the posted residence hall closing date at the end of the fall semester.
- Withdraw / Academic Leave - Requests for cancellation due to voluntary withdrawal or academic leave from the university will be considered after the student has officially withdrawn/left the university with the appropriate written notification and approval as required by the university. Students canceling for this reason should also contact the Office of the Dean of Students.
- Marriage - Requests for cancellation due to marriage will be considered only after such marriage has taken place and legal verification has been supplied to HS.
- Military Duty - A resident will be released from the Agreement if they are called to active military duty so long as the resident submits this request and a copy of their military orders. In this instance only, refunds of room charges will be made on a per diem basis.
- Other - For reasons other than those listed above, the student must be able to demonstrate that a significant, uncontrollable, and unforeseen change has occurred, since the time that the Agreement was signed, that now requires release from the Agreement. Verifiable third party documentation that supports the request must be provided at the time the request is made. Entering an off-campus lease after requesting and receiving a campus housing assignment is not an accepted reason for cancellation of the Agreement. Students with a campus housing assignment are encouraged to participate in the Housing Cancellation Request process before entering an off-campus commitment for additional housing.
Statement of Understanding
- I understand that I am responsible for the terms and conditions of my Residence Hall and Dining Services Agreement, which is binding for an entire academic year.
- By completing and signing this request, I am stating that I have read and understood the information outlined above, that I wish to have my on-campus housing assignment cancelled, and that I wish to be released from my responsibility for my signed Residence Hall and Dining Services Agreement.
- I am aware that submitting this request does not guarantee that I will be released. If my request for cancellation is not approved, a space on campus will be reserved for me and I will remain responsible for all housing charges.
- I understand that if my request is approved, that approval is final. My Residence Hall and Dining Services Agreement will be cancelled, I will be removed from my current assignment, and my assignment may be given to another student.
- I understand that, if my request is approved, I will be charged a Housing Cancellation Fee (HCF) up to $1,000, in accordance with the Residence Hall and Dining Services Agreement. If I am eligible for a refund it will be according to the University Refund Schedule. Any refund will be based on the date I am approved for a cancellation and/or check out of my assigned space. If there is a discrepancy between these dates, the later date will be utilized for billing purposes.
- If my request is for the Fall semester, I understand that the housing deposit I made will be credited toward this HCF. If my request is for the Spring semester, I am aware the housing deposit was credited toward my Fall semester housing charges and that I will be responsible for paying the HCF.
- I understand that the Office of Student Financial Assistance may release my financial information to the Office of Housing Services if my cancellation request is based on financial hardship.
If you understand this information and would like to continue with your request for cancellation, please press the button below: