The Catholic University of America

Caldwell Hall

 

As the oldest building on campus Caldwell Hall was dedicated on May 24, 1888 by John Cardinal Gibbons, Archbishop of Baltimore (1877-1921), and Grover Cleveland, President of the United States (1885-89; 1893-97), and was named for Mary Gwendolyn Caldwell (1863-1909), the first donor to the University. The original letter dated April 10, 1887 from Pope Leo XIII approving the University's founding is sealed in the cornerstone. Mary Gwendolyn's sister, Mary Elizabeth, later dontated funding for construction of the chapel. The residential area of Caldwell Hall will be renovated in 2014.

Caldwell Hall is also home to The House, the residence for the ten student Campus Ministers who minister to CUA's first-year students.

Floor Plans

Campus Map

Caldwell Hall

 

Population

Amenities & Features

Room Types

Approximate Room Dimensions

42 upper-class students 

all male;

plus 10 Student Ministers in The House; single sex by floor

lounge with cable TV and foosball, laundry, and kitchen facilities; wireless internet access; St. Paul's Chapel (Caldwell Chapel); near the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception

primarily traditional single and double rooms with shared bathrooms in hallways, some with in-room sinks

single: 14½' x 12'

 

Sample Room Plan

 

Caldwell Hall Sample Room Plan

Furnishings include a twin x-long bed frame, twin x-long mattress, dresser, desk, chair and wardrobe/closet per resident.

Individual Tours

Housing Services is unable to honor requests for individual tours of the residential facilities. However, students and their families are encouraged to participate in an Admissions Tour, view the panoramic tours of rooms in Flather, Gibbons, McDonald (CV), Opus, and Millennium North in the Campus Map, view the University Living Guide in the Welcome Packet, and visit the Housing Services Web site for more information regarding the various housing options at CUA.