The Catholic University of America


Opus Hall

Upperclass Housing


Welcome to The Catholic University of America and on-campus living!

Living on campus is about more than a room — it is about being a part of a dynamic campus community. A Residence Life program that guides the formation of community and personal development is active in on-campus housing. Housing Services works diligently to address and meet resident needs through caring, student-focused processes. The success of these combined efforts is evidenced by the high demand for on-campus housing and the desire of students to return to on-campus living.

On-campus housing offers a variety of residence hall options ranging from the traditional (a shared double or triple room with a shared bathroom down the hall) to suites (multiple rooms sharing a bathroom) and apartments. Undergraduate students live in single sex residence halls. Coupled with programs directed toward student’s personal, spiritual, and moral development, single sex housing fosters an environment of virtuous living consistent with the Catholic intellectual tradition. With a variety of residential buildings available, on-campus living can be an enjoyable and rewarding experience during your entire academic career at CUA.


Who is eligible to live in Upperclass Housing?

The university policy on housing eligibility is available here. Generally, in order to live in on-campus housing, individuals must be CUA degree-seeking students who have full-time status with the university. University standards for full-time status are outlined in the Academic Announcements publications, available at A student whose course load falls below full-time status should petition Housing Services for permission to remain a resident. Other exceptions may be granted on a space-available basis.


Is on-campus housing guaranteed?

The university requires all freshman and sophomore undergraduate students to live in campus housing. Housing Services recognizes upperclass students review various on and off-campus housing options for their junior and senior years. Unfortunately the university is unable to guarantee housing for juniors and seniors; however, each year Housing Services reviews the demand for campus housing and initiates plans accordingly. During the spring semester, a lottery is conducted where interested junior and senior students may select housing from available rooms for the next academic year. Housing Services also provides resources and options to assist students in securing off-campus housing. These options include the Off-Campus Housing Resources website where students can search listings of off-campus properties, perform a roommate search, and navigate links to helpful information on topics such as renter's insurance and tenant's rights.

For more information please refer to the Student Housing Policy on the University Policy page.


Where do upperclass students live on the CUA campus?

Junior and Senior students live predominately in the Millenniums, Opus, and Gibbons. Sophomores live in Centennial VillageGibbons, and Opus.


How do I apply for Upperclass Housing?

For the fall semester, current students should participate in the Room Selection Process. Students who do not particpate in the Room Selecton Process should submit the Waitlist Housing Application in MyHousing via Cardinal Students. 

For the spring semester, students should submit a Spring Only Housing Application in MyHousing via Cardinal Students.